Mesh Instancing

Been implementing this mesh instancing technique into the Ride the fury engine this week, thankfully the sample code is well implemented and documented as it’s a pretty technical feat to achieve, particularly across multiple platforms.

The results are pretty obvious in the screen shots below, a whole order of magnitude increase in the number objects you can render on the screen for little cost to frame rate (that number at the bottom centre of the screen shots is the frame rate, no it’s not v-synced).

MeshInstancing1
What it looked like pre-mesh instancing

MeshInstancing2
Mesh instancing on, it’s getting closer what I’ve got pictured in my head

It’s currently running at about 40fps with 4 player split screen on the Xbox, I’ve still got some visibility culling and threading to implement, I’m confident they’ll bring me up to a solid 60fps.

Now that I’ve got enough performance, it’s time to sort out a few more weapon items and the penalty system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.