It’s been 4 days since Zetty left for South Africa, I haven’t been up to too much had a nice MTB ride up the Nail Can yesterday and spent most of today in the car, My brother Evan and I went to Buxton (120k from Sydney) to pick up a motorbike he purchased over eBay.
The drive went really well, the Commodore makes highway cruising easy, coupled with the iPod and good company you could spend days on the road and not know it. We didn’t really stop any where noteworthy, just refilled (Petrol for the car and coffee for us) a couple of times and kept on keeping on.
Once we got back to Ev’s place we had to crank it up and take it for a couple o hot laps up and down his street, for an old pissy little 90cc 2 stroke it can haul me around pretty well, you could have some serious fun bumping around in traffic with this thing, you’d have to pretty much ring it’s neck to get it up to the 80km/h on the causeway but it’d do it
Ev plans to do it up nicely, I think it’ll come up pretty well, it’s got enough chrome on it to make a nice little cafe racer, you’d be turning some heads thats for sure to 2 stroke has a pretty distinced sound!
Once I got home, grabbing a delicious “Cotchies” chicken snitzel burget with the lot ( no butter ) I got stuck into some Rhys Quest Code, I’d done some reasearch into sound libraries on Saturday morning after coming to the realisation that WAV format files are just to damn big to use in a download-able game. What I found was this FMod cross platform library, with support for 3D sound ( not that I’m going to use it ) Ogg, Mp3, Wave, Mod and a heap of others. After a little playing around I got it playing an Mp3 file of mine, then an Ogg. I decided I’d use Ogg seeing as it has slightly better compression and is an open standard.
I was kinda dreading implementing it in Rhys Quest though, I’ve been pretty slack when it come to sound programming and I was a little concerned how abstracted the code was, to my surprise I was able have the whole thing changed over within an hour. It’s sounding pretty terrible at the moment because I’ve currently got a mixture of mono and stereo sounds of varying qualities, I’ll get them fixed up over the next few days and converted over to Ogg, should save me some download space
The only other RQ1 thing I’ve done is come up with some new characters while sitting in the car, I’m going to rough them out over the next couple of days and hopefully have them in with placeholder graphics by the end of the week.